Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Last Six Weeks

I've been checking the bees every 10 days or so. The Buckfast hive had queen cells between the upper and lower deep bodies which I unintentionally tore apart when I checked on them the end of June. I don't know if they successfully raised a queen or not. Usually when I open the brood nest they go berserk and are very defensive for days afterward. In deference to my family, I haven't checked so I don't know if they're thriving or not. There seem to be plenty of foraging bees, however, and they don't show the obvious signs of queenlessness--although if I see laying workers next time I open the lower deep hive body I'll know. They're not making much in the way of surplus honey, though.

The swarm hive--carniolans from a neighbor beekeeper--are thriving. Lots of bees, lots of surplus honey--I added a second super today--and lots of brood. I can't even explain how awesome it is getting free bees.

No comments: