Sunday, July 4, 2010

Indpendence Day Swarm


Walked out to the garage at 10:30 this morning and the air was full of bees. I looked at my Buckfast hive and saw bees just boiling out of the entrance, running up the hive bodies, and taking to the air. About half hour later they settled into the high branches of a box elder tree. By noon they were gone, and I didn't have a chance to capture and rehive them. I checked the hive and saw queen cells (see photo) so I'm hoping they'll recover and continue to be as productive as they had been. I took the opportunity to remove the entrance reducer as the hive is still packed with bees and capped brood. Obviously, they can defend a wider opening.

The slow buildup of the Italian hive continues. They have 7 frames fully drawn, lots of capped brood, pollen and nectar, so I added a second hive body and removed the feeder.

No comments: