Thursday, July 9, 2009

There's the Queen


I waited more than two weeks hoping the new queen made a successful mating flight and things were back to normal. I opened the hive today and the first thing I saw were beautiful larvae that had been raised in the space between the hive bodies. Her Majesty lives! I pulled frames from the lower hive body and saw frame after frame of capped brood. Apparently, nature has taken its course and all is well. I figured as much since from the outside the hive has appeared normal and field bees have been bringing pollen in all along so I figured they must be raising larvae. Several frames in each honey super have been drawn into comb and they are storing nectar. It looks like I'll have a honey harvest despite the swarm. Next year: I'll try swarm control.

No comments: