Saturday, May 2, 2009

Oops

On Monday the 27th I added the last dose of Tetra-Bee which necessitated removing the top hive body and feeder. As I leaned over to replace the hive body I noticed the queen on the ground all by herself. She crawled onto my hive tool, and I placed her on the top frame of one of the brood frames where she was immediately surrounded by really interested workers. I'm hoping she wasn't damaged and I will open up the hive today, pending warm weather, and look to see if she's laying eggs. She was awesome last year. Quick build up was followed by extreme productivity in the workers. I was actually able to harvest honey from a first year hive. If I do have to replace her I'll order a new queen from H&R Apiaries in Jessup, Georgia from whom I purchased my bees last year.

No comments: