Tuesday, August 19, 2008

8th Inspection


On August 8th I pulled the apistan strips and removed lots of burr comb between the two deep hive bodies. On August 16th I sucked it up and pried apart and inspected the frames in the lower hive body. I couldn't tell, with my bad eyes, if there were eggs in the empty cells but there was larvae and capped brood in several frames as well as lots of pollen. I finished removing the burr comb and tidied up things in general. The girls are still busy drawing comb in the first shallow super with about half the frames drawn so I added a second shallow super. Man, are there a lot of bees at home during the day. They come boiling up out of the frames so I had to smoke them back down and used the bee brush to get them off so I could replace the supers without crushing them.

No comments: